8.02.2011

what have I done.......





















I have signed up for a 30 day yoga challenge at my studio.  This means 30 days of going to yoga every day.  I am feeling some combination of excited and grumpy about this prospect.  I feel good when I do yoga, and I feel even better when I do yoga often, so I can only imagine that I will feel great if I do it every day, but I can't help but feel like I might have jumped in over my head....

I know that the "grumpy" or angry feeling is my brain/body resisting that which it knows it needs most - I've learned at least that much from my Yin practice, especially the hip opening asanas - and so I'm going to take that mental resistance as a sign that I have chosen well by setting myself up for this!  I will breathe through this little emotional rebellion, and I will come out the other side a sweeter, stronger, more resilient person (with a sweeter, stronger, more resilient body as a bonus).

The first big challenge will be making the effort to go to a class even on the days that I "really don't feel like it", or saying "no" to friends who want to do fun things that get in the way of this commitment I've made to myself!

I like my friends.  I want to spend time with them.  I like my husband, and my dog, and they deserve my time and attention... but I'm important too... I am good at making "time for me", when it means "time for me to lay around and do nothing", or "time for me to watch TV and stuff my face", or "time for me to visit with my friends, drink wine, and nurture my relationships"... but I am very bad at making time for things that may seem like a bit of a hassle at first, but are ultimately enjoyable, and extremely rewarding.

I need to remind myself that I can take time out of my day to focus on becoming a better person, physically, mentally, and emotionally... I also need to remind myself that I won't really be missing out if I don't watch 3 episodes of Masterchef in a row on a Wednesday night when hubby is at work.

For challenge participators, Yyoga sends out a weekly email with "focus points" for that week's practice.  I'm going to blog my way through the challenge, using those points as a guide, and see where I end up!

Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. LadyF2.8.11

    Good Luck!! I'm super proud of you for doing this and it will be tough but more than worth it. To help you out I promise to not hang out with you until after your daily yoga :)

    ReplyDelete